Smart Cities and Sustainable Housing
– Half of humanity – 3.5 billion people – lives in cities today
– By 2030, almost 60 per cent of the world’s population will live in urban areas
– 95 per cent of urban expansion in the next decades will take place in developing world
– 828 million people live in slums today and the number keeps rising
– The world’s cities occupy just 3 per cent of the Earth’s land, but account for 60-80 per cent of energy consumption and 75 per cent of carbon emissions
– Rapid urbanization is exerting pressure on fresh water supplies, sewage, the living environment, and public health
– But the high density of cities can bring efficiency gains and technological innovation while reducing resource and energy consumption.